Tuesday 24 January 2017

Womens Singles Prediction - second try

As the quarter finals are about to commence it is time to reassess my pre tournament predictions:

Women's singles

The top half of the draw has seen the departure of Angie Kerber (number 1 seed), Simona Halep (4), Svetlana Kuznetsova (8), Carla Suarez Navarro (10) and Elina Svitolina (11).
Three of those were quarter finalists in my ever so reliable forecast.  And two were magically going to play off in one of the semi finals.  Of course defending champion Kerber and first round loser Halep won't compete on Friday so I will make another attempt and choose from the remaining four in the top half.

Today 13th seed Venus Williams meets 24th seed Anastasija Pavlyuchenkova in one quarter final, and while it would be a sentimental solution for the Williams sisters to fight out the final this year, I believe that Anastasia can stop the great run Venus has had in the Open this year.

Another American, unseeded Coco Vandeweghe, unceremoniously knocked Angie Kerber out of contention, but may find it hard to repeat the dose against 7th seed Garbine Muguruza.  Garbine has made her way through the draw without any fanfare, but is after all the reigning Roland Garros champ, so has experience of winning at this stage of a major.
I believe that one semi final will be contested between Muguruza and Pavlyuchenkova, so there is a tip where not to put your money.

The bottom half of the draw has lost Agnieszka Radwanska (3) and Dominika Cibulkova (6).  I had chosen Radwanska to play a quarter final against 5th seed Karolina Pliskova.  Now it is Pliskova meeting unseeded Mirjana Lucic-Baroni.

I didn't state it specifically but 9th seed Johanna Konta was my selection to play a quarter final against second seed Serena Williams and that will happen.

The semi finalists I originally believed would not include Serena, and I will have to stick by that.
Konta v Pliskova still.

So I will change my selection for the top half only.

Karolina Pliskova will defeat Garbine Muguruza in the women's singles final.

No comments:

Post a Comment